Art Discovery with the Masters with instructor Allison Doke
Students paint a still life in Allison Doke's class for ages 7-12.
Acrylic painting by a student, Oct. 2017
September 8 - October 20, 2018
Saturdays, 2-4 p.m.
6 week session: $90
Supply Fee: $20
Learn to draw and paint while studying the great masters in art history. From Renaissance to Realism, this class will teach children the fundamentals of art by focusing on a different artist each week. We will work in a variety of mediums and techniques from drawing with charcoal to painting with a palette knife. Children will learn about artists such as da Vinci, Van Gogh, Dali, O’Keeffe, and others. Supply fee will include a small sketchbook for the children to take home and create weekly drawings.
Learn more about classes continuing in late-April: Email: email@example.com
Download Flyer for Class to share with others!
Painting of trees by Charles Scogins
Fine Art Painting Class
Saturdays, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Ongoing this fall. Contact Charles for the start date.
8 Week Session: $150
Please make payment arrangements directly with Charles Scogins.
This eight week class enables students to work on subjects of their choice at their own skill level from beginner to advanced. Charles encourages students to work from life, but in this studio class format, using photographic reference is acceptable. Students invest time painting subjects they find exciting which provides a satisfying experience and result.
- The class is open to a variety of media with exception to
pastels (due to breathing issues with that medium).
- Color, composition, and a variety of approaches to painting will be discussed.
will bring their own supplies but easels are available on site.
- Please have at least the primary and secondary colors available plus white in opaque mediums, (Yellow, Red, Blue, Violet, Green and Orange).
- Flat brushes work best and you need not go out and spend large
amounts of money on them.
- A palette knife would also be useful.
Students of Charles Scogins paint outdoors.
Painting of a student from a class demonstration by Charles Scogins.
Questions? E-mail Charles Scogins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Download Flyer for Class
Ongoing Realistic Drawing/Painting Classes
Images from Shane McDonald's classes, 2017-18
Students in Shane's class work individually at their own pace and on their own projects 90% of the time. This class is ideal for students who have had some previous drawing or painting instruction, and are wanting to improve their skills using oils, acrylics, pastels, charcoal, or just about any media they choose.
2018 Fall Schedule (CURRENTLY ON HOLD):
Thursdays, 10 a.m - 1 p.m.
Sundays, 12 noon - 3 p.m.
WEEKLY CLASSES CANCELLED 2018 DUE TO FAMILY HEALTH ISSUES
Regular Agenda (click to view more)
While Shane provides instruction, mentoring, easels and small tables in the studio, prospective students are asked to bring their ideas, sketch or photo references, and art materials. Shane will explain and demonstrate exercises and techniques that will allow each student's personal style to come through their work.
Shane begins class by walking from one student to another individually critiquing each student's progress on his or her project. Each person receives instruction in the form of recommendations, encouraging comments, and answers to questions. Sometimes Shane will quickly sketch ideas for students who have trouble visualizing ways to solve artwork problems. If permission is granted by the student, Shane will also demonstrate techniques on the students' work.
It's good to periodically change the working process—and when the class agrees as a group, a mini-workshop is scheduled to enable the mutual benefit of working together step-by-step on a similar project. Group instruction or demonstrations on certain topics pertinent to realistic representation are offered. On some days a portrait or figure model will be hired and students participate the entire session working from the model. A $10 model fee will be requested for figure sessions.
Anyone 13 or older who has previously taken a drawing or painting class with Shane or another instructor is eligible to participate.
Calendar (click to view more)
Download Flyer for the Class
You may pay by check made out to Shane McDonald Studios and mail to:
585 Cobb Pkwy S, Studio K1
Marietta, GA 30060
Each additional attended class of the dates above will be $30.
Email email@example.com to reserve your spot starting on a specific date.
$40 Drop-in (Please call in advance)
The easiest and best way Shane can help you achieve your desired effect in painting is through the use of references.
- Painting ideas on paper: photos that you take yourself, your own sketches, magazine pictures, or reproductions of masterful paintings
- Still-life objects: If space permits, you may bring your own simple objects to paint in a quick still-life setup (which must be taken down at the end of class) or you may use my collection of still-life objects. Please be prepared to light your setup on your own. You may take digital reference images of the still-life at the end of class.
Make it easy on yourself by keeping your supplies together. The use of inexpensive rolling travel bags work well for the transport of supplies.
- Non-painters: any container for storage of pencils, erasers, brushes, straight-edge, sharpener, etc.
- Painters: a tackle box or a small rolling suitcase that holds drawing materials, paints,gesso, brushes, painting medium, brush cleaner, and other small tools is ideal.